Daily Current Affairs (10th October - 2016)
Submitted by admin on Fri, 28/04/2017 - 12:35pm
Congress, BJP spar over Operation Ginger
- Political parties reacted to The Hindu's exclusive report on Operation Ginger carried out by the Indian army across the LOC in 2011, with the Congress seeing it as proof that the recent surgical strikes were nothing new and the BJP claiming that there was a difference in style and scale between the 2011 and present operations.
- According to congress “Every government going back to the time that Pakistan launched its proxy war against India, has conducted operations across the LOC and even the IB.
- While the UPA government at the time had known about it only after the ambush, the strikes now are a designed strike with political involvement at the highest level.
Radioactive leak at IGI airport
- Radioactive leak from a medical consignment triggered a panic at the Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi on09-10- 2016 morning.
- The medical equipment from which the leak purportedly took place came through Air France airline.
- A regular consignment of 16 packets of sodium molibdate for cancer treatment arrived by Air France AF 226 last night at 2230 hrs.
- Consignee was Dhiti Biotech India Pvt Ltd., and the consigner was CISBIO International.
India rejects Pakistan references at U.N.
- India, exercising the Right of Reply after Pakistan’s envoy to the U.N. Maleeha Lodhi raised the Kashmir issue at the U.N, said that Pakistan had made references to the Indian State of Jammu and Kashmir in a self-serving attempt to bring extraneous issues before the committee.
- It asserted that Jammu and Kashmir was an integral part of India.
- Exercising its Right of Reply, Pakistan said India continued to perpetrate misinformation on the Kashmir issue year after year. Raking up the Kashmir issue again at the U.N., Pakistan had said the non-implementation of the U.N. Security Council resolutions for a plebiscite in Kashmir was the “most persistent” failure of the U.N.
- “The decolonisation agenda of the U.N. will remain incomplete without resolution of the Jammu and Kashmir dispute, among the oldest items on the U.N.’s agenda.
- She asserted that Jammu and Kashmir “never was and can never be” an integral part of India but is a disputed territory, the final status of which has yet to be determined in accordance with several resolutions of the UN Security Council.
Trump denies actions he bragged about on tape
- Hillary Clinton declared Donald Trump’s aggressively vulgar comments about women revealed “exactly who he is” and clearly demonstrated his unsuitability to be president.
- He unleashed a barrage of attacks and insults, and continually interrupted Clinton.
- He repeatedly called her a “liar,” labelled her the “devil” and contended she had “tremendous hate in her heart.”
- Trump acknowledged for the first time that he had paid no federal income taxes for many years.
Centre to invite bids soon for 36 waterways
- The government has said it will augment the process of development for 36 waterways in the first phase.
- “Draft feasibility reports have been received for 36 waterways.
- “We will be developing these in a major way in the first phase as India has huge potential in this so-far- untapped segment despite being endowed with rivers that could change the economy.
- “We will be developing these in a major way in the first phase as India has huge potential in this so-far- untapped segment despite being endowed with rivers that could change the economy,” Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari told PTI.
- Parliament had enacted a legislation allowing 106 rivers across the country to be converted into National Waterways .
- The minister said the environment-friendly and cost-effective mode of transportation will reduce the logistics costs significantly from as high as 18 per cent in India.
RJio sets ‘world record’, enrolls 16mn users in 1st month
- Reliance Jio claimed that it has created “a world record” by crossing the 16 million subscriber mark in its first month of operations — September.
- Reliance Jio Infocomm is a subsidiary of RIL. It launched its commercial services on September 5.
- Jio has introduced Aadhaar-based paperless Jio SIM activation across 3,100 cities and towns. This enables the customer to complete the SIM activation process in a matter of minutes, with only his/her Aadhaar number.
Slow BFSI spending to hurt Q2 performance
- The July-September quarter is typically one of the better quarters for the $110 billion Indian IT sector, witnessing strong sequential revenue growth.
- with challenges in the banking, financial services and insurance (BFSI) vertical and client specific issues weighing on growth, IT vendors like TCS and Infosys are expected to deliver tepid constant currency growth in Q2.
Sikki-Pranaav pair and Ruthvika triumph
- Indian shuttlers signed off an impressive campaign at the Russian Open Grand Prix, claiming the women’s singles and mixed doubles titles .
- Fourth seed Ruthvika Shivani Gadde won the women’s singles title beating local favourite Evgeniya Kosetskaya 21-10, 21-13.
- In the mixed doubles final, N. Sikki Reddy and Pranaav Chopra edged past the Russian duo of Vladimir Ivanov and Valeria Sorokina 21-17, 21-19.