- About us
- Civil Services Exam
- How to
- Choose Optional Subject
- Crack IAS in First Attempt
- Avoid Common Mistakes
- Score Good Marks in Exam
- Prepare Essay Paper
- Prepare GS for Prelims
- Prepare CSAT (IAS Pre)
- Read The Hindu Newspaper
- Read Yojana Magazine
- Prepare Current Affairs
- Prepare Science & Tech
- Prepare IAS Interview
- Write Answers in Mains
- Current Affairs
- Study Resources
- Help & Information
- Discussion Group
Daily Current Affairs (6th December - 2016)
By root at Tue, 12/06/2016 - 17:53
23 nations celebrate release of Diwali stamp in US
- Over 20 countries, including two UN Security Council permanent members France and the UK, have supported a dedication ceremony hosted by India to commemorate the release of a Diwali postage stamp by the US.
- Noting that Diwali was commemorated for the first time this year at the UN.
- Capping seven-year long efforts by the Indian-American community and influential US lawmakers, the US Postal Service (USPS) had issued the commemorative Diwali stamp to mark the Indian festival of lights.
UK faces another Brexit legal fight over single market: Report
- The British government could face a legal challenge over whether leaving the European Union automatically would trigger a departure from the single market.
- The government believes that leaving the EU automatically means leaving the EEA, but British Influence argues that it must first invoke Article 127 of the EEA agreement, which requires the approval of MPs.
- Given Article 127 provides an express mechanism for withdrawal, it implicitly excludes other implied mechanisms for withdrawal such as ceasing to be a member of the EU.
Adani to start work at Australia mine by mid-2017
- Indian energy giant Adani said it will start construction work at the 21.7 billion dollars Carmichael mine in Australia by the middle of next year and vowed to give priority to local workers at the controversy-hit project, which is expected to generate some 10,000 jobs.
- Adani group is committed to nation building projects in the energy and infrastructure space which will create thousands of jobs in regional Queensland and alleviate millions in India of poverty, he added.
- Adani's efforts to build one of the world's largest coal mine project in Australia's Queensland state has been hampered time and again since its launch six years ago.
Petrol, diesel prices may jump 5-8% next quarter on Open cuts
- Oil cartel Opec's decision to cut production from next month may lead to a 5-8 per cent spike in retail prices of fuel over the next three-four months and massively boost the margins of state-run refiners.
- A Crisil report said the price of petrol may rise 5-8 per cent and that of diesel by 6-8 per cent over the next 3-4 months following the production cut and the resultant spike in crude prices.
Jayalalithaa from filmstar to political icon
- Born on 24th February, 1948 in Melukote in what was then Mysore State (now in Karnataka)
- In 1965 she makes Tamil debut, stars in a film with MG Ramachandran for the first time.
- In 1972 MGR launches All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) after split from Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK)
- In 1982 she joins MGR's AIADMK, elected to Rajya Sabha in 1984.
- In 1991 she becomes Tamil Nadu chief minister for the first time.
- In 1996 AIADMK is routed in election, and she arrested over corruption.
- In 2014 Karnataka trial court sentences her to jail, she is disqualified as CM.
- In 2015 Jayalalithaa acquitted of all curruption charges by Karnataka high court, returns as CM.
- On 22nd September she admitted to Chennai's Apollo hospital with complaints of fever and dehydration problems.
- 5th December 2016 she passes away at the age of 68 years.