UPSC Mains Syllabus: Indian language & English Language (Qualifying)
(Modern Indian Language, English Language & Essay)
Total 300 Marks and Marks not counted, Passing is mandatory. (This paper is qualifying in nature)
Modern Indian Language Syllabus
- Comprehension of given passages.
- Precis Writing
- Usage and Vocabulary.
- Short Essay
- Translation from English to the Indian language and vice-versa.
English Language Syllabus
The pattern of questions would be broadly as follows:
- Comprehension of given passages
- Precis Writing
- Usage and Vocabulary
- Short Essay.
Paper 1 - Essay Syllabus
You can write this paper in the medium or language of your choice and you will have to to write an essay on a specific topic. Try to focus on subject of the essay to arrange their ideas in orderly fashion, and to write concisely. You may get good marks if you write effective and exact expression.
For the Language medium/ literature of languages, the scripts to be used by the candidates will be as under:
|15.||Sindhi||Devanagari or Arabic|
|22.||Santhali||Devanagari or Olchiki|
- Indian Languages and English papers will be of Matriculation or equivalent standard and will be of qualifying nature only. Marks obtained in these papers will not be counted for final ranking.
- You will have to answer the English and Indian Languages papers in English and the respective Indian language as you opt (except where translation is involved).
- For Santhali language, question paper will be printed in Devanagari script; but you are free to answer either in Devanagari script or in Olchiki.
- Paper A will not be compulsory for candidates hailing from the States of Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Sikkim.