- Civil Services Exam
- How to
- Study Resources
- Current Affairs
- हिन्दी माध्यम
- Join IAS Planner
Daily Current Affairs (7th October - 2016)
Submitted by admin on Fri, 28/04/2017 - 12:31pm
Haji Ali Dargah issue: SC extends HC's stay order till October 17
- The Supreme Court drew a parallel between the restriction on women worshipping in Kerala's Sabarimala temple and Mumbai Haji Ali Dargah.
- Senior advocate and Trust's counsel Gopal Subramanium contended that there is no exclusion practised in the dargah.
- He said it is only that men are "slightly closer" to the sanctum, while women are at a certain distance.
- That is a Hindu shrine and this is a Muslim shrine, Chief Justice Thakur said.
- The court scheduled the hearing for October 17. The High Court judgment would remain suspended till then.
Wing part found in Mauritius confirmed to be part of MH370
- A piece of an aircraft wing found on the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius has been identified as belonging to missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.
- The piece of wing flap was found in May and subsequently analysed by experts at the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, which is heading up the search for the plane in a remote stretch of ocean off Australia’s west coast.
- Several pieces of wreckage from the plane have washed ashore on coastlines around the Indian Ocean since the aircraft vanished with 239 people on board during a flight from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to Beijing on March 8, 2014.
Nobel Peace Prize awarded to Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos
- The Nobel Peace Prize for 2016 has been awarded to Juan Manuel Santos for the peace.
- One of the five prizes instituted by Alfred Nobel, the Peace Prize is awarded to those who have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations.
Spectrum auction concludes, Centre garners Rs.65,789 cr.
- India’s biggest-ever spectrum auction ended with the Centre garnering Rs.65,789 crore in revenue.
- Of the 2,355 megahertz (MHz) of spectrum, worth Rs.5.6 lakh crore across seven bands put up for bids, 965 MHz, or about 40 per cent, got sold. No spectrum was sold in the premium 700 MHz band due to a high reserve price.
- In comparison, the spectrum auction last year had lasted 19 days and attracted bids worth Rs.1.1 lakh crore. The auction conducted in 2010 for 3G airwaves had lasted 34 days.
LIC, pension funds must invest in start-ups: DIPP Secretary
- LIC and pension funds must step in (in the start-up segment). Employees' Provident Fund Organisation had recently taken steps to increase their exposure in stock markets.
- Ritesh Agarwal, founder and CEO, OYO Rooms, India, said it was the responsibility of start-ups to proactively inform lawmakers and government officials regarding the need for reforms in laws to ensure that they are in sync with the latest developments in the start-up sector.