CSAT Paper - 1 Sample Paper
1. Why is platinum wire used inside very narrow glass rods ?
(a) Platinum expands very little compared to glass
(b) Platinum and glass have the same linear coefficients of expansion
(c) Glass is a bad conductor of heat
(d) Platinum does not melt at low temperature
2. To a stationary man the frequency of a sound source moving towards the
man appears to be
(a) lower than the original frequency
(b) same as the original frequency
(c) higher than the original frequency
(d) lower as well higher than the original frequency depending upon the speed of
3. Choose the incorrect statement related to the laws of reflection :
(a) the reflected ray and the incident ray lie in the same plane
(b) the incident ray, reflected ray and the normal are concurrent
(c) the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection
(d) none of these
4. Identify the incorrect statement about the electric lines of force
(a) Two field lines cannot intersect each other
(b) The path traced by a positive charge is a field line
(c) Field lines are continuous in a medium
(d) A field line cannot intersect itself
5. The temperature of a metal wire rises when an electric current is
passed through it because :
(a) collision of conduction electrons with the atoms of metal gives them
energy which appears as heat
(b) when electrons fall from higher energy level to lower energy level, heat
energy is released
(c) collisions of metal atoms with each other releases heat energy.
(d) collisions of conduction electrons with each other releases heat energy.
6. Neutron induced fission was discovered and explained respectively by
(a) Hahn and Strassman, Meitnem and Frisch
(b) Bohr, Fermi
(c) Fermi, Bohr
(d) Oppenheimer, Hahn and Strassman
7. How does it happen that Pluto is not the farthest planet of the solar
system at times ?
(a) Each planet becomes the farthest planet in its turn, sometimes it is the
turn of Pluto.
(b) Pluto is always the farthest planet of the solar system.
(c) The sun is sometimes in the zodiac in which it is nearest to the outer
(d) the eccentricity of Pluto’s orbit being substantial this orbit cuts the
orbit of Neptune.
8. Why are we able to hear short-wave broadcasts better than lone-wave
(a) Short-wave broadcasts are made by nearby radio stations
(b) Short-waves are unaffected by atmospheric disturbances
(c) Short-waves are more energetic than long-waves
(d) By convention, short-waves are meant for long distances whereas long-waves
are reserved for short distances