UPSC Mains Assamese Optional Syllabus - (Paper I & Paper II)
PART - I
Please note that all answers must be written in Assamese.
a. History of the origin and development of the Assamese language-its position among the Indo-Aryan Languages-periods in its history.
b. Developments of Assamese prose.
c. Vowels and consonants of the Assamese languages-rules of phonetic changes with stress on Assamese coming down from Old Indo-Aryan.
d. Assamese vocabulary-and its sources.
e. Morphology of the language-conjugation-enclitic definitives and pleonastic suffixes.
f. Dilectical divergences-the standard colloquial and the Kamrupi dialect in particulars.
g. Assamese scripts-its evolution through the ages till 19th century A.D.
Section-B : Literary Criticism and Literary History
- Principles of Literary criticism upto New criticism.
- Different literary genres.
- Development of literary forms in Assamese.
- Development of literary criticism in Assamese.
- Periods of the literary history of Assam from the earliest beginnings, i.e. from the period of the charyyageets with their socio-cultural background : the proto Assamese-Pre-SankaradevaSankaradeva-post SankaradevaModern period (from the coming of the Britishers)-Post-Independence period. Special emphasis is to be given on the Vaisnavite period, the gonaki and the post-Independence period.
PART - II
This paper will require first-hand reading of the texts prescribed and will be designed to test the candidates' critical ability. Answers must be written in Assames
- Ramayana (Ayodhya Kanda only)-by Madhava Kandali.
- Parijat-Harana-by Sankaradeva.
- Rasakrida-by Sankaradeva (From Kirtana Ghosa).
- Bargeet-by Madhavadeva
- Rajasuya-by Madhavadeva.
- Katha-Bhagavata (Books I and II)-by Baikunthanath Bhattacharyya.
- Gurucarit-Katha (Sankaradeva's Part only)-ed. by Maheswar Neog.
- Mor Jeevan Sonwaran-by Lakshminath Bezbaroa.
- Kripabar Barbaruar Kakatar Topola-by Lakshminath Bezbaroa.
- Pratima-by Chandra Kumar Agarwalla.
- Gaonburha-by Padmanath Gohain Barua.
- Monamati-by Rajanikanta Bordoloi.
- Purani Asamiya Sahitya-by Banikanta Kakati.
- Karengar Ligiri-by Jyotiprasad Agarwalla
- Jeevanar Batat-by Bina Barwa (Birinchi Kumar Barua)
- Mrityunjoy-by Birendrakumar
- Samrat-by Navakanta Barua.